No matter how hard I try, I can’t get the dirt completely out of my fingernails. Well, I can with a stiff nailbrush, but when I wash my hands at the farm to break for lunch, there always seems to be this residue.
The sun has been shining for days in Seattle, a real treat, and a signal that it’s time for me to start working regularly at the farm again, getting ready for spring. I’m going to try and get back in the habit of using this space to track what is happening on the farm, with the occasional break for photos of work coming out of the shop.
In that vein:
Today I replaced segments of drip tape that were leaking too much in the anemones. The anemones and ranunculus in the hoophouse are maybe 4 – 6″ high right now, a bit behind last year, but coming along. I then found some real satisfaction cleaning up the herb beds. I used my favorite tool, the hula hoe, to do a light weed and loosen the soil, and then cut back the cardoons so that only the center leaves remain. I’m thinking of ditching the lovage and marjoram beds — nobody buys them — and adding two more beds of alpine strawberries.
That’s a start for now.